Instant Pot Review: 14 Reasons You Need An Instant Pot
What is the Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
Why Buy One?
1. If you prep meals in advance.
I spend my Sunday nights meal prepping for the week. I peel and chop and box and half-cook items that I intend to use during the following week. The IP takes less time many things.
2. If you and your family eat a lot of legumes.
3. If you cook meat a few times during the week, you need the Instant Pot.
4. If you forget to take the meat out of the freezer.
5. If you need to do other things while you’re cooking.
6. If you have limited storage space.
7. If you love your soups and stews and chilli.
8. If one pot meals are your thing.
9. If you love to entertain or regularly cook for 4 or more people.
10. If you cook dishes that often have multiple steps like first sauté, braised, steam and blend etc.
11. If you are a little freaked out by regular pressure cookers.I
Instant Pots are a lot safer than regular pressure cookers. It is possible to make a mess here as well if you overfill or keep the valves or rim dirty.
12. There is less noise.
And less smell and less heat with an IP so it works very well in hot weather and small spaces.
13. If you have people arriving and eating all at different times.
14. It’s easier to clean because the pot insert is made of stainless steel.
3 Reasons Not to Buy the Instant Pot
On the flip side, here are three reasons why you don’t want this kitchen appliance in your life.
- If you cook mostly vegetarian food. Cooking in a pan with a lid will do the same job as an Instant Pot, as far as veggies are concerned. Unless you cook a lot of legumes then consider point nbr 2 above.
- Technology is not your friend. There is a steep learning curve especially if you’ve never used a pressure cooker. The manual and the recipe book that come with it aren’t as comprehensive as I would have liked. I have learnt more just playing around with settings and ingredients. And from the Facebook groups.
- You just don’t have counter space. The IP will end up sitting on the counter somewhat close to your hood if not right under it. So don’t buy it if your kitchen counter is already full, you will end up putting the IP away in the basement.
So here it is. The reality behind the hype, and if you’ve been doing your research then you’ve seen there is a lot of hype. There are Facebook communities and recipe forums out there to help get you started but they will also overwhelm. So take your time and play with it and make it work for you and your family life and routine. That’s after you have it in your kitchen.
Do you have an Instant Pot? What do you think of it? – Share here.
Here are my top practical tips to loving my Instant, it took me a while.
Questions + Comments
Author, Educator, Speaker
Puneeta is a writer, food advocate and guide for those who seek earth-friendly, delicious solutions that work for real life.
Inspiration for living an abundant, delicious and doable life that brings people and planet closer together.
Use what you have, reuse what you can, reduce what you throw away, and repurpose the rest.
From Food Writer and Climate Advocate comes this Simple-to-follow Cookbook.
Good Food, Healthy Planet
Your Kitchen Companion to Simple, Practical, Sustainable Cooking
As a subscriber you will receive a fortnightly-ish newsletter about food, people and planet, and the stories and science behind it all. You'll also receive news about Maple + Marigold and Puneeta, as well as tasty recipes, health-boosting foods, sustainable swaps and tips to live well.
We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.