I like being in the kitchen but only as long as I am pulling together something easy and delicious that I KNOW THE KIDS WILL EAT! But that’s not how this day started.
That day I was wondering how to feed my kids something wholesome that would also ward off their scratchy colds (and mine!). And I may never say this again but that day beets – delicious beets – were the answer.
Health Benefits Of Beets
Beets are a health powerhouse. They have proven effective in increasing stamina, reducing inflammation, and appropriate for this holiday season, a great detoxification agent. With the addition of onion and ginger in this beet soup, we end up with a flu-fighting AND delicious remedy that will blow those winter blues away.
Flu-Fighting Beet Soup With Ginger and Red Onion
If you follow my writing (thank you!) you know I like to make kitchen time easy. This beet and ginger soup is a snap to make. The vegetables can cook while you’re helping kids with the homework or checking your email. And even if you don’t give any credence to the liver-cleansing, immunity boosting properties of the ingredients of this soup, it doesn’t matter; this beet soup is just plain old delicious.
Cook the beets, ginger and onion, blend and spoon, this soup is yummy at room temperature or steaming hot. I serve it with a side of sautéd beet greens. Yes, BEET greens! A big part of the vegetable, beet greens are usually discarded. But they are full of flavour and rich in nutrition that boosts immunity and bone strength. A quick sauté with garlic and spices, and beet greens make a perfect topping for the beet soup.
Real Life Kitchen Tips
- Use a smooth chopping surface to chop the beets otherwise you’ll be washing the pink off for a long time.
- I use canola oil for the soup and greens. It has a very mild flavour of it’s own that lets the vegetables shine through.
- Cut the tops off the beets and wash, and wash again.
- Trim the beet greens and leave only the tender part of the stem. Chop.
- In the past I’ve served beet soup with crispy brussels sprouts as well. Works very well!
Flu-Fighting Beet and Ginger Soup
- 3 medium sized Beets
- 1 small Onion
- 1 in piece of Ginger
- 1 cup of freshly pressed Apple Cider optional will amplify the flavour. If not available replace with low-sodium chicken broth and a teaspoon of brown sugar
- 3 cups of low-sodium vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Cream optional
- Peel beets and cut into chunks.
- Peel onion and cut into chunks
- Roughly chop ginger
- Take a tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add in the vegetables and stir them around to caramelize for 8-10 minutes
- Pour in the liquid. Boil once and then simmer for 20-30 minutes, till the beets are soft.
- Add salt.
- Serve with a splash of cream.
For the Sautéd Beet Greens
- Take 3 chopped garlic cloves in a tbsp oil along with a sprinkle of red chilli peppers. I go a little crazy with chilli peppers here since it is unlikely my kids will eat this.
- Sauté for a few minutes till the garlic turns a little brown.
- Add in the greens and sprinkle salt as needed
- Sauté briefly and serve.