I’ve had the Instant Pot for a while now but it’s only recently that I’ve actually started to have fun with it. This delicious, gooey Dulce de Leche, aka — caramel recipe is just that — fun! It also makes a fabulous hostess gift or a little bit of indulgence on a cold wintry evening. I promise I won’t judge.
What is Dulce De Leche?
A caramelized sweetened condensed milk, dulce de leche literally means “sweet” of milk. It’s popular around South America and often found in pies and flans and is also used as a base for a multitude of deliciousness.
This easy to make and delicious treat is also a great hostess gift. I can make a big batch with little effort, and it totally impresses!
Most of my recipes are easy going and forgiving (like me — NOT!). I am one of those people if I try something and love it, I will try to recreate it at home in my kitchen with FEWER ingredients and EASIER steps. Food has to be wholesome and delicious but also easy, right?
The first time I had Dulce de Leche, it was mixed in a flan and I have been hooked ever since. So of course once the Instant Pot arrived I had to try as many different variations as possible. Of
That’s what this recipe for Instant Pot Dulce de Leche is. Easy. It isn’t wholesome though — chock full of sugar that it is. But as sugary treats go this is right up there in flavour and it’s homemade — extra brownie points for that.
What’s the big deal anyway?
Thick, spoonable, aromatic, satisfying, delicious caramelized flavour. It’s delicious on
Burfi, cheesecake, flan, pies, cakes you name it. A swirl of this and your recipe is transported to fabulousness. You need this caramel in your life.
How can you use Instant Pot Dulce de Leche?
- As a swirl in your morning drink. I’ve tried in my daily coffee — yum!
- As a topping on cheesecake or cake.
- A drizzle on your ice cream, pancakes or french toast
- A dip for apples, pears, crackers, cookies or pretzel. The last has become a favourite.
- As a homemade hostess gift – those are the best, aren’t they?
- I’m testing it with my cereal bars, I
ndianburfi and ladoo. Expect more recipes and it’s not just for the recipe tasting 🙂
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche Recipe
A quick search on Google and I see there are tons of recipes out there on the stovetop. I’m sure they are delicious in their own way. They can’t be easier than pour, seal and pressure cook, right? That’s what mine is.
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche
- 2 cans Sweetened condensed milk
- 2 good quality glass jars
- Aluminium foil
- Pour condensed milk into jars
- Seal tight with aluminium foil
- Place trivet in Instant Pot. Pour two cups of water into the inner pot.
- Place the sealed jars on the trivet. Ensure that the water comes part way up the side of the jar. Too high and it may condense into the caramel. Too little and it may burn.
- Manual high pressure for 25 mins. NPR for 10 and then release.
- Take the jars out carefully. Use an oven mitt if you like.Stir the liquid – it may have a slight curdled, jelly-like appearance. Serve, gift or eat. There's no judgement here.