About the recipe
The first time I made this sauce I was stunned by how easily it came together. Swapping out half the meat with lentils and adding in a few flavours of India make this traditional sauce deeply flavourful and also planet-friendly. Since that first experiment, I have made this bolognese many times. Each time I tweak with what I have in my pantry that month, perhaps a new type of lentil or bean. I encourage you to do the same. See you Sunday!
- 1 cup French-style green lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 300 gm of ground turkey meat
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 cups passata tomato sauce (alternatively another type of uncooked tomato puree)
- 1 cup chopped hardy vegetables (for example: carrots, turnips, kohlrabi)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Prep: rinse and soak the lentils while you get all the other ingredients ready.
Garnish: chopped basil and olive oil.
Serve with: pasta or rice or on top of your favourite salad greens.