The Only Grilled Chicken Recipe You Will Ever Need
As the weather starts to warm up, the patios pop up on the sidewalks as do the BBQ grills in the backyard. My hubby usually takes charge of the grill – there’s something very manly about the whole hype surrounding the outdoor grill. The recipe and the preparation is still in my charge though, and this dish in particular is delicious every time it’s on the menu. Whether it’s just the four of us, a few friends over or a platter for the neighbourhood barbecue, this chicken dish is fool proof and will always be the first to disappear off the table. The ultimate grilled chicken – the only recipe I promise you will EVER need!
Ultimate Grilled Chicken Recipe
I enjoy cooking especially when I’m creating and experimenting with flavours, and this was one of them. Orange, ginger and mustard – a match made in heaven. That’s what this orange grilled chicken recipe is. Heavenly!
Serve this grilled chicken with your favourite coconut riceor naan.
- Marinate the chicken for anywhere between 30 mins to a few hours.
- Instead of regular marmalade try the one with thick orange rinds – yummy in the marinade.
- Reserve the marinade to baste the chicken through the grilling process.
- This grilled chicken recipe cooks really well in the pan too. In fact the gooey marinade cooks down into a delicious thick coating that is AMAZING!
- Coriander seedscrushed to a powder add wonderful flavour to the marinade; none of the heat but all of the smoky flavour that Indian food is known for.
- Coriander leaves add delicious garnish and flavour to this dish. Many people don’t like the flavour of coriander leaves (my younger daughter is one of them) and I add in the stems instead of the leaves in the marinade.
- While grilling outdoors don’t move the chicken too much or you won’t get the lovely grill marks.
- If you’re pan-grilling be careful that the sugar in the marmalade doesn’t burn.
Ultimate Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Chicken pieces - 8 boneless skinless thighs
For the Marinade
- Grainy Mustard - 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce - 2 tbsp
- Coriander Cilantro stems - 4 tbsp finely chopped
- Orange Marmalade with the rind - 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Ginger finely chopped - 2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl big enough to fit the chicken.
- Let the marinade stand as you wash the chicken.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Pre-heat your BBQ grill to medium heat (275-325 degrees). Oil the grate with a paper towel dipped in some oil.
- Take the chicken out and toss it a few times in the marinade and put it on the grill.
- Grill it for 15 mins or so on each side. Baste with the marinade whenever you move the chicken.
The Pan grill version
- Put the chicken in a pan with a little bit of heated oil. Add in every last drop of the marinade.
- The pan should be large enough to have space around each piece.
- Half cover the pan so it doesn't spatter too much and make a mess of your kitchen.
- Cook on medium heat on the one side for 15 mins and then flip it over for another 15 mins.
Questions + Comments
Author, Educator, Speaker
Puneeta is a writer, food advocate and guide for those who seek earth-friendly, delicious solutions that work for real life.
Inspiration for living an abundant, delicious and doable life that brings people and planet closer together.
Use what you have, reuse what you can, reduce what you throw away, and repurpose the rest.
From Food Writer and Climate Advocate comes this Simple-to-follow Cookbook.
Good Food, Healthy Planet
Your Kitchen Companion to Simple, Practical, Sustainable Cooking
As a subscriber you will receive a fortnightly-ish newsletter about food, people and planet, and the stories and science behind it all. You'll also receive news about Maple + Marigold and Puneeta, as well as tasty recipes, health-boosting foods, sustainable swaps and tips to live well.
We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.