Exactly what the title says. This dish is perfect for those weeknights when you open your fridge and stare blankly at the shelves. A dish that you can throw everything at or make your own special tweaks if you’re in the mood, and the end result will be lip smacking. It also comes in handy on days when open suitcases and clothes and favourite toys and books cover every empty surface in our family room.
Long flights with kids to the other end of the world suck in so many levels. I start making my lists and prepare ferociously for our annual summer trip to India the week before, and when that happens the house looks like the centre of all chaos. One of my travel tipsto help us survive the plane ride is to eat healthy and homemade the day or two before the flight.
This easy fried rice recipe uses ingredients that empty out my fridge in preparation for our days away. It’s on one of those crazy days that #CleanYourFridge Fried Rice was born.
This flavourful dish can take a lot. Whatever you have in your fridge and the result is (somewhat) authentic nourishing and fast food at its best. And on the table in 22 mins or less as long as an episode of your child’s favourite TV show!
- Adding herbs like basil and cilantro work very well in this dish. Since I didn’t have either I went out into my yard and found lemon verbena still growing strong in the hot and dry Toronto weather. Whatever you choose, slice and sprinkle right at the end so the leaves remain fresh.
- I had a half brick of leftover Tofu in the fridge that made a yummy and high-protein addition to the meal. Otherwise shredded chicken, frozen shrimp or even leftover chickpeas will work.
- Ideally I would have liked to add in snap peas, pepper and corn but since I didn’t have them and I was keen to clean out my fridge, carrots and peas went in this melange. And worked – deliciously!
Vegetarian & Easy Fried Rice Recipe
This easy fried rice recipe can be made in a single pan and is great for those rushed weeknights or even as a light Sunday dinner. You can make it hearty and comforting or light and refreshing as you want.
Rice – 3 cups of left-over boiled rice
Peas – 1/2 cup (frozen). If you’re using fresh peas then steam them for a few mins in the microwave while you’re
chopping the vegetables.
Carrots – 1 cup cubed and chopped
A handful of chopped herbs
Eggs – 3
Tofu – 1/2 brick ( approx. 1 cup) chopped in small cubes
2 tbsp of soya sauce
2 tsp of rice vinegar
1. Add 2 tsp of oil in a wok or pan. Heat on medium.
2. Add in the Tofu pieces and cook them through for 5-8 mins. The Tofu tastes better when it is browned just a little. This will take longer than you expect.
3. Add in the carrots and sauté.
4. Then add in frozen peas and heat through.
5. Move all the vegetables over to one side of the pan and crack the eggs in the empty space.
6. Scramble them quickly. And then stir all together.
7. Add in the rice and toss.
8. Pour in the sauce toss and turn the heat off.
9. Chop herbs and sprinkle. I used lemon verbena that adds a mild citrusy flavour.