I am to blame for my kids’ addiction. There’s no doubt about it!
I love coffee. The aroma and taste, and when I was pregnant I gave up on the dark stuff for a while. I did end walking by a coffee shop as often as I could to get a whiff of the good stuff. Now I work from home and that really means I end up with my laptop at my neighbourhood coffee shop way more than I should. Thankfully they have decent wi-fi and even better coffee.
It was all working out really well till I found out there was a coffee shop near my kids’ school too.
The weather started to warm up and our downhill slide was sneaky. It started one Friday after school, “Would you like a coffee, Mom?” Did I mention, sneaky!!
And now that summer is in full swing it’s “Mom, can we please get a double chocolate-chip frappuccino from your coffee shop, puhleeeeeze!”
Like any other middle-class mother with a frugal soul I knew I could make it healthier AND homemade. So that’s what this is – a healthier and economical version of the Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino. It’s as good as as the original, I have my kids’ stamp of approval!
Kitchen Tips for the homemade double chocolate chip frappuccino
- As you blend leave the chocolate chips for the end so they remain a little chunky. The kids think that’s more authentic. I personally prefer the mixture to be smooth and well blended.
- I have seen a number of recipes online that use tons more chocolate chips, sugar, chocolate syrup etc. I really think you don’t need it. I promised homemade AND healthy!
- I have switched the milk in this recipe for lactose-free and it tastes just as good and my hubby can enjoy it.
Homemade Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino
- Milk - two cups
- Ice cubes - three cups
- Unsweetened Cocoa - 1 tbsp
- Semi sweet Chocolate chips - 1/3 cup
- Sugar - 6 tsp
- For the whipped cream topping
- Cream - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
For the whipped cream
- Pour the cream in the blender along with the sugar and essence and whip. It takes about 30 secs for the peaks to form. Go slow you don't want to end up with butter.
For the Frappuccino
- Put all the ingredients in the blender, and blend.
- Pour in a pretty glass.
- Scoop the whipped cream on top.
- Serve with a straw and spoon. You will need both.