An Indian classic, Masoor Daal Kebab is made with red lentils, steamed broccoli + turmeric!
Split red lentils or Masoor Dal (dhuli) is one of the more underappreciated lentils in India. They have a delicate and sweet flavour, break down really fast during cooking and a simple, healthy, delicious meal can be ready in way less time than it takes to order takeout.
Masoor Daal Kebab | Red Lentil Fritters
with Turmeric and Broccoli (Vegan, DF, GF)
For the Daal
- 2 cups split red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or mild red onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Fritters | Kebab
- 2 cups steamed brocolli
- 2-3 tbsp rice flour (or regular AP flour)
- 1 cup shallots or mild red onions
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 2 tbsp mild-tasting oil - I use Grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, as needed
Cook the Daal - 20 mins
- Rinse lentils a couple oftimes and then pour into a sauce pan along withwater, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Boil, covered for 15 minson medium. Leave covered while you get the other ingredients ready.
Making Fritters - 10 mins
- Steamthe broccoli florets in a bowl in the microwave with a little bit of water tocover the broccoli (45 secs).
- Chopthe broccoli and add to the cooked lentil mixture. Add the remainingingredients now and mix/ knead a few times till it is all well mixed.
- Heat oil in a pan and turnheat to medium. Scoop a tablespoon of batter into the oil and press down toflatten the fritters slightly. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with hummus, yoghurt,cucumber salad, rice or even between two slices of bread.