I like baking. Even more so since the kids are getting older. Turning on the oven means they like to get in the kitchen with me. In the winter season baking fills the house with delicious aromas and is an easy way to get dinner on the table. In the summer though it is even better. Roast vegetables – check. Baking with fresh summer fruits – check. I also enjoy setting the timer and then stepping away to enjoy the warm summer breeze. This gluten-free orange banana bread is one that I bake often.
Over the past few months cooking for my family has become more complicated. Due to a number of health reasons I eat gluten-free as much as possible. My younger one has been following an elimination diet where she is not able to eat dairy and tomatoes (as of now). This means that a number of regular favourites on our menu need either tweaking or I can’t make them anymore. Banana bread – my kids’ favourite snack – was sadly top of that list.
After much experimenting and tweaking with my regular banana bread recipe, I was delighted to wind up with a dairy-free AND gluten-free version that turned out BETTER than the original. Yes!!
Orange Banana Bread Topped With Pecans and Brown Sugar
Gluten free desserts have a reputation for being dry. That is not the case here. In fact the addition of orange juice not only adds a summery flavour but also makes this orange banana bread really moist and flavourful. Taking away the butter and replacing with oil also somehow adds to the yumminess and in fact reduces the saturated fat content.
- My kids’ school has a nut-free policy. That means if I intend to send this snack to school then I need variations of this recipe. So here’s what I do: I double the recipe (trust me, it will be gone in no time) and make enough for two loaves. One with nuts and the remaining without. Pour the latter into a mini muffin baking pan. They’re easier to carry in lunch boxes.
- Reduce the cooking time to 20 mins for the batter in the muffin pan.
- Leftovers of this banana bread also freeze very well. Slice after the bread has cooled down completely, individually wrap in cling film and stack in the freezer.
Orange Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten-free all purpose Flour (President's Choice or Bob's Red Mill both work well)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 ripe mushy Bananas
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice Juice of two clementines or half a navel orange.
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Zest of orange
- Mix wet ingredients.
Mix dry ingredients. Mix all together and pour into a loaf tin.Sprinkle the pecans, brown sugar and orange zest on top.Bake at 350 degrees celsius for 30 mins. Keep a watch on it it may cook faster or slower in your oven. Insert a small knife or a metal skewer to check if its done.Serve while still warm.