Fresh Homemade Butter In Minutes
- A jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Cream - 1 cup I used whipping cream
- A measuring cup
- A sieve of some sort
- Spoon to taste as you go along
- Measure cream into the jar. We used a 1/3 of a cup for each batch that resulted in approx. 2 tbsp. of butter.
- Start shaking the jar. My kids and I shared this responsibility and used NO set, scientific pattern.
- A few minutes later, I felt the sloshing quiet down and I opened the jar to check. It was whipped cream. We put the lid back on and continued to shake.
- Eight minutes later, the fat globules came together and there was butter.
- Strain and scoop it out.
- Mix in the flavour of your choice. We tried 4. Plain salt, honey, brown sugar and roasted garlic and chilli pepper. The last one was my idea. I think I am going to make spicy garlic bread from that batch tomorrow. The plain salt was my daughter’s idea. She wanted to compare fresh salted butter with the stuff we usually get in the packet. Loved her very scientific approach.
- Serve with crackers or pita. We toasted some tortillas. Delicious.